Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald review

Carlos Sanchez, Writer

Not a lot of books capture the world. A book may be amazing but it may never catch on and enter the mainstream. Luckily for us JK Rowling’s seven part series, Harry Potter, has. She created a gigantic world of magic that captured the hearts of everyone. Of course when Hollywood saw this they decided to put their greedy little mitts all over it. The movie usually ruins the book big time, but this time was different. The movies too became a hit. But Hollywood wasn’t done with just eight movies from the seven books. No, they just had to find another way to milk the series. Enter the Fantastic Beasts series. It is based around the conflict of Dumbledore Vs Grindelwald, magic in the US, and a textbook in the magical world called Fantastic beasts and where to find them. The first movie, Fantastic Beasts and where to find them, in this series came out November eighteenth, 2016. It was weird seeing this world again and without Harry Potter. Fan had mixed feelings at first but everyone pretty much agrees that it is pretty great.

The second one was a different story. Fantastic Beasts and the Crime of Grindelwald came out November 16, 2018. The critics, overall, like the movie. The fans however, were appalled.

WARNING SPOILERS ARE BEYOND THIS POINT. IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THE MOVIE STOP READING!

The story starts as Grindelwald escapes the clutches of the Magical Congress of the USA. He is after the obscurial, Credence, who he believes will “save the magical world.” Newt is under the orders of Albus Dumbledore to go to Paris. Credence is trying to figure out who he really is. And we even meet one of Voldemort’s horcruxes Nagini, the snake women. Newt is trying to find Tina to help him find Credence before Grindelwald does. Newt runs into his friends Jacob and Queenie. Newt and Tina find out secrets about Credence. Queenie goes to the dark side. We meet an immortal alchemist. Grindelwald is gathering all his followers. Like all Hollywood movies nowadays, his reasoning is understandable and kinda smart. He wants to rule the non magical world because if they don’t, the muggles would destroy them with nuclear weapons. Grindelwald and his followers get away. Credence is revealed to be in the Dumbledore family. And Newt steals the unbreakable blood bond vial from Grindelwald. The unbreakable vow was between Dumbledore and Grindelwald, the vow was a promise to not fight each other. Credence gets a phoenix, The end.

That’s the basic gist of the movie. Personally, I loved it. It was funny and the story was well thought out. The new characters worked nicely with the old ones. And seeing people Professor McGonagall was amazing. Like I said, the fans hate this movie. They say the spacing is bad, there are a lot of plotholes, and they got a lot wrong. According to the official Harry Potter timeline, she would have to be eight years old in the time of Crimes of Grindelwald. But she’s already a teacher in the movie. But there is an explanation to McGonagall’s existence. She had a time turner before she gave it to Hermione. She must have used it for some unexplained reason. It’ll probably explained later or just to tease the fans forever. But, Dumbledore should be a lot younger for any of this to work. The spacing isn’t too bad and everything is so much better than the reviews make it out to be.

The plot twists were so obvious looking back, but you’ll never see it coming the first time around. All the new creatures and characters they added really made the story feel so much more alive. But the best thing in the movie (pretty much everyone agrees) is the Hogwarts scenes. It really hit the nostalgia sector of your brain.Another thing they did well was the magic. After doing nine movies in this world, they really perfected the animations of the spells, creatures, etc.

Despite what critics and a lot of people say, this movie is an amazing adventure going deeper into the wizarding world. The characters are likeable and the movie just looks stunning. Fantastic Beasts The Crimes of Grindelwald is a fun and incredibly dark movie in this world of Harry Potter. JK Rowling really made something special here and it will influence the world for years to come.