HHS 2019 football preveiw

Ethan Smith, Sports Editor

With a new Rebel season upon us, there are many new challenges for the players and coaches. With only four returning starters, Coach Les Goad will have to fill up the other 18 spots open with new, young talent. Hays lost a total of 40 athletes and gained about 16 new ones due to the new Johnson High School being built and zone shifts in the district.

First year starter and junior QB Durand Hill will be throwing in the backfield alongside three returning senior running backs,  Xavier Green, Bobby Green and Joe Angel Carrasco. This year’s team will be a very run heavy offense, due to the extreme depth and talent at the running back spot. WR Bryant Lewis and Zack Harris are two new additions to the team, from Lehman due to school zone shifts.

On the Defensive side we are very strong. With four returning players including two year starters CB Piellei Henderson and LB Zac Hobert, who will be leading a new, fresh defensive squad, expect to see just how defense wins games.

Because of the loss of players to Johnson HS, Hays will be moved from a Super 6a to a normal 6a Division. This change will have no effect on the schedule or people we play. This year’s schedule is very similar to last year’s. Powerhouse schools like Westlake and Lake Travis are projected to be the front runners with Hays, Bowie and Austin High competing for the last open playoff spots.

The Hays Football program including players, coaches and fans are excited to see the rebels compete for another division trophy.