Summer is coming

Summer is coming

Lina Ramos, Writer/Photographer

The school day count down has reached the single digits, the relentless sun steams the streets, and the stores have done away with pants and jackets. With school about to be out in less than a week it prompts the question: what’s there to do?

Often when thinking of summer activities what comes to mind is the beach, mountains, and rivers; all of which are out of town. What’s there to do in Kyle? While this small quiet town may seem to be the most boring place on earth, it could surprise you.

This summer Kyle is offering a plethora of activities all of which can be viewed on the Kyle website and on the City of Kyle Calendar. From fishing clinics to Forth of July fireworks, to even movies in the park, you can enjoy all these exciting activities right at home. So this summer when you find yourself bored at home take a look at the activities near you.

Not every one will be staying home this summer, freshman Marcella Garza Gongora will be traveling to McAllen to visit family and friends.

“I’m most excited to see all of my best friends from McAllen!”

Unlike Marcella, sophomore Rachel Wood will instead have family traveling to her from Puerto Rico. In addition to that she will also be attending the national debate competition over the summer, one of the biggest tournaments for the speech and debate program.

“People from all over the country are able to take a chance at competing with one another. It’s overall really exciting and nerve wrecking because it’s an opportunity to learn, improve, and put yourself out there.”

While the competition will be exciting, Rachel looks forward to being able to relax with family and friends this break. As for sophomore Bella Deltoro, relaxing isn’t in the cards,

“This summer I’m planning to work my butt off at my new job! I can’t wait for break to start so I can’t start working!”

The ideal summer break is often doing nothing at home, but bringing in a cash flow is also an ideal alternative for many high schoolers.

This summer, as always, there are many options as to how to spend the time, with family and friends, extracurricular activities, vacations out of town, working, and so on. Most important of all is enjoying the (mostly) well earned break!