Remembering Brandi Brownlow

Hays mourns loss of beloved teacher

*Update: Brownlow’s family has two scheduled memorials to celebrate her life.

The first is on Thursday, October 24 at 3 p.m. at the Buda United Methodist Church at 302 Elm St. in Buda.

And on Tuesday, October 29th at 6 p.m. in Bales Gym at Hays High School 4800 Jack C Hays Trail.

There is also a fundraiser set up for the family at gofund.me

****************************************

The Hays community is mourning the passing of former geography teacher Brandi Brownlow, who lost her lengthy fight against cancer yesterday.

Brownlow was a beloved member of Hays High School for over 20 years. Co-workers, family and former students remember Brownlow as optimistic, caring and above all a fighter.

Brownlow’s daughter Marley is a freshman at Hays and posted this:

“Heaven gained a beautiful angel last night. My mom, Brandi Brownlow, has been battling colon cancer for the past two and a half years. Many of you know her as Mrs. Brownlow, or Mrs. B-Low from Hays High School. I’m so thankful I got to see her for as long as I did. She was beautiful, kind, smart, and my biggest role model. Her smile was contagious and she touched so many lives. I believe God takes his most precious angels from this world early simply because they’re too good for it. I’d like to thank everyone who has prayed, supported, and loved us through this.

“Please hug your momma’s neck, tell her you love her, and never take anything for granted. Party hard in heaven mommy. I love you.” -Marley Brownlow, 9

Former students reflected on Brownlow’s passing.

“Ms. Brownlow impacted my life in so many ways. She showed me love, light, and kindness,” Reef Doss, 11.

Graduates took to social media to reflect on Brownlow’s passing.

“Mrs.Brownlow was such a light in everyone’s life. Not only was she an amazing teacher but she was also a very supportive mentor outside of class. She will be missed so much and I hope we can all live in a way which continues to build her legacy,” Kaitlyn Krafka, class of ’18 alumna, said.

This reporter knew Mrs. Brownlow since I was probably 4 years old. I used to play with her daughter Marley, since our grandparents were neighbors. If I could say one thing about Mrs. Brownlow it would be that she was the kindest person in the world. No matter how long it had been she would always recognize me and treat me with kindness that many adults don’t possess. The last time I saw her was when I was working at Cracker Barrel and she talked to me like we’d been best friends for years… The Brownlows and their family have always welcomed me in every way possible and always made me feel happy to see them. Mrs. Brownlow was a blessing to all.

At press time campus administration was in the planning stages of a campus memorial for Brownlow. Check TheNationwired.net for updates.

“Mrs. Brownlow was so sweet and she was very motherly and she knew exactly how to make someone smile. She was like a second mom to me. She was such an angel and was literally one of the best people I ever knew,” Anna Danford, 9.