The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

Powderpuff football
Powderpuff football highlights
Guerin Bernardin and Alexa YbarraMay 15, 2024

Varsity Hawks suffer tough loss

Churchill Chargers win 35 – 7
Marcella Garza-Gongora

After a shutout victory against the Akins Eagles on week one of the ’23 football season, the varsity Hawks played again on the road against the Churchill Chargers on Saturday, September 2nd. Unfortunately, after multiple injuries to key players leading to disorganization and shortcomings all around, the Hawks suffered a brutal defeat losing 7-35.

Last year the Hawks played Churchill on week 2 as well but at home and won 27-7. Despite losing multiple starters this season to graduating, the Hawks still had high expectations for the new season.

Throughout the most recent game against the Chargers, multiple starters fell to injury which played a big factor in the loss. The offense for the Hawks were also unable to capitalize on major scoring opportunities with multiple good drives ending in turnovers, with there being multiple fumbles and failed attempts to convert on key downs to keep the drives going.

The Chargers also deserve credit as they came out ready to play and overall out-schemed the Hawks, running a scheme that had not been scouted nor practiced against. Overall the game can be summarized with two key factors, unfortunate injuries and mistakes. The Hawks move to a 1-1 record but hope to regroup and get a huge bounce back win for morale in their first home game against the Cedar Creek Eagles on Thursday September 7th. Make sure to show-out in your neon or white and support your Hawks against Cedar Creek at Bob Shelton Stadium at 7:00!

Final Stats From the Game:

QB Tacoma Ames(10)- 8-10, 147 yards, 1 TD

RB Anthony Hernandez(10)- 13 carries, 52 yards

Receiver Alexander Villalobos(12)- 2 receptions, 71 yards, 1 TD

Receiver Jace Thomas(12)- 2 receptions, 41 yards

Overall Team Stats: 

Total Yards: 321

Passing Yards: 190

Rushing Yards: 131