The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

Hays Media seniors reflect on their time on staff.
Class of '24 Hays Media
May 10, 2024

JoJo Siwa’s New Rebrand: Is it Real?

Siwa sparks controversy with her new “bad girl” look
Karma... from Instagram
Karma… from Instagram

Everybody remembers the famous JoJo Siwa with her rainbow-colored clothing and large bows. The girl who appeared in Nickelodeon shows and sang “Boomerang.” However after coming out in January of 2021 there was a hint of a new possible rebrand. But now in 2024, the wait is no more. The singer’s new single “Karma” was released on April 5, and it caused some controversy because the once-loved child actress and star is now appealing to a different demographic. The song “Karma” was allegedly written for Miley Cyrus and originally performed by Bri Smith, according to circulating rumors and leaks. But it leaves people wanting to know, is this rebrand real? Or is this rebrand just for clout and publicity?

The song’s central theme is cheating on your partner and having to deal with the “karma” when they move on to someone else. The video features choreographed dances performed by JoJo Siwa. Many glistening costumes and JoJo’s special red partner. The music video’s cinematography wasn’t too bad, despite receiving a lot of criticism for its awkward moments and needless dancing. Because it’s such a daring move, JoJo Siwa’s Karma dance has become popular on TikTok and used in mutiple trends. On TikTok, the video has been receiving a lot of attention. Siwa and her new rebrand are the subject of numerous comments, opinions, and reactions. Many users have started to question that this rebrand is just to gain publicity for Siwa since her recognition of coming out in 2021 is over.

Another topic surrounding the singers new song is the fact it could’ve possibly been written for Miley Cyrus back in the early 2010s.  Jojo had said in a interview that she was inspired by Miley’s rebrand and wanted to create something similar, did she mean by using one of her scrapped songs? A video had been going around on TikTok of singer Brit Smith’s scrapped unreleased music video of “Karma” that exposed JoJo to fans on the internet. In earlier interviews JoJo had claimed that she had written “Karma” and after being called out for “stealing” the song, she stated that “there’s no such thing as stealing” when it comes to music. Fans are also mad at the fact that Siwa had claimed she invented gay pop, pointing out pioneers like Freddie Mecury, David Bowie, and Elton John and how they have been bringing gay pop into the mainstream since the 1970s.

People have many opinions on JoJo’s new rebrand, and Siwa continues to surround herself with lots of controversy at the moment. Is the rebrand real? Is she the next member of the Insane Clown Posse? Only time will tell us what JoJo has in store for us. Click here to watch Karma.