The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

Hays Media seniors reflect on their time on staff.
Class of '24 Hays Media
May 10, 2024

Strap On Your Gee-tars: dive into SAP’s “Lard Baby”

Local Austin band Sap just might be the new revival of grunge

With the end of the 90s it felt that the grunge scene was out of its prime. With no Nirvana, no Alice in Chains, no Pearl Jam, what was the next for the genre? A local Austin-based band, Sap, however, is most definetly the leading force in the revival of the grunge scene. Some might even say that SAP is the “second coming” of Nirvana. This band is personally one of my favorites and with the new release of their singles in February of this year, I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of listening to their debut album nonstop.

Band members Evan Fundora (lead vocalist and guitarist), Hank Barna (bass), Jared Cox (drums) released their album “Lard Baby” back in July of 2023. The three promoted their songs on their TikTok account where they would get tons of views. In the comment section of their videos, people would compare Evans voice to Kurt Cobain of Nirvana. Fundora said himself that he would try to immitate grunge singers voices and Cobain’s was the easiest. The album contains nine tracks: Kiss My Kitty Cat, Trashman, You Like That, Hairy Jerry, Big Fat Macho Man, Pigsty, Bulimia, Mr. John, and Pickle Song.

All these tracks scream ’90s grunge and local Austin show-goers are loving it.