The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

Powderpuff football
Powderpuff football highlights
Guerin Bernardin and Alexa YbarraMay 15, 2024

The Ultimate Fall Music Essentials

An alternative guideline to a fall playlist

It’s official, fall is upon us! It’s time to break out the flannels, beanies, and headphones to listen to some nice alternative fall tunes. Grab a coffee or a nice treat and relax because these reccomendations will surley end up on your next fall playlist.

Starting off with a classic that actually turns 28 years old this week from ’95 is “1979” by The Smashing Pumpkins. Released October 24th 1995 from their third studio album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, the song was an instant hit. The smooth chord progression and uses loops and repition from thier other songs. As well as Billy Corgan’s voice being sampled as a melody line while recording. This classic 90’s hit easily opens the gates to fall music and gives the listener a free and easy feeling. Almost as is if the guitar is surrounding you but gently, making it light. A great song to go out and enjoy the autumn scenery.

Jar of Flies released in 1994, “Rotten Apple” by Alice in Chains is my definition of a fall grunge masterpiece. I believe that if fall was a song it would be this one for sure. The songs almost warmish tone is emphasized by Layne Staley’s and Jerry Cantrell’s harmony in the lyrics. The opening riff is instantly chilling with a nice bending of notes on Cantrell’s guitar using the Rotten Apple OpAmp Fuzz Pedal creating a insane sound that fits perfectly into this almost whimsical feeling. Everybody should listen to this song at least once in their life, its a true musical masterpiece. Perfect for the fall, relaxing inside, or just enjoying the music itself.

A newer indie alternative song “All They Ever Wanted” by Panchiko released in 2020 from their album Ferric Oxide is a more mellow melancholic song but gives off a soothing vibe that the listener can feel comforted by. Perfect for those cold days in fall. It has a steady calm beat and a cute little chorus riff. The singing isn’t overpowering which I like for the indie genre. The instruments and the vocals are the same volume making it easier to listen to subconciously. I can picture listening to this song on a cold rainy grey day.

Another newer song, from the “midwest emo” genre, “Death Cup” by Mom Jeans released in 2016 from their album Best Buds is also another underrated song for a fall night. The opening intro adds a nice touch to the songs melodic feeling. Though the song is intentionally sad, It gives the listener something to think about or relate to. Towards the end it builds up only to go back down which I like as it adds to the melancholy. This type of song reminds me of a sad mellow day while doing things you enjoy.

Last but not least “Petals” by Hole released in 1998 from their third studio album Celebrity Skin is an iconic song that easily gives off fall tendencies. A song that describes that even in the darkest times it should be reminded that beauty can bloom. Which can be an interpretation of the fall weather where the blooming is the fall leaves and the darkest times being leaving behind the warm sunny weather. The intro in this song with the guitar gives of a whimiscal tone with pop sensebility. Making this a great song to reflect with as well as going for a nice walk and admiring the fall leaves and weather.