The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

The student news site of Hays HS

Hawk Highlights

Hays Media seniors reflect on their time on staff.
Class of '24 Hays Media
May 10, 2024

Is there life after TikTok?

As ByteDance is pressured to divest, let’s remember there are other options
With the threat of closing down TikTok here in the U.S.- what are the alternatives?
Isabella Garibay-Flores

As legislation to remove the TikTok from America’s app stores progresses to the senate, we must remember it’s not the only place to promote and post.

If TikTok gets banned I think everyone will be fine with using other trending social media apps and could move their platform or start to promote their small business on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook or Twitter. Without TikTok being available I feel like everyone will have to turn to other apps (no other choice), sadly because I know that the world would be shaken a little without TikTok.

Instagram is the 6th free app on the Top chats on the app store, so this means that almost everyone uses Instagram. On Instagram you have the option to just scroll and like videos that you find amusing, just like TikTok. On TikTok you must have 1000 or more followers to go live, but on Instagram anyone with an account can go live.

Also Instagram’s longevity and many upgrades propelled it to where it’s at now. Many people promote their small business like clothing brands, logo brands, dessert brands and small restaurants. I think TikTok and Instagram are in the same boat and kinda sorta do the same thing.

Other app options include Snapchat, Twitter ( X ) and Facebook and Youtube. These long-standing apps are still around, meaning that if you’re a content creator or any person that works with advertising on TikTok or etc. You can easily move your brand or your videos, for whatever genre you do, to a different known app. Finding another way to market on these apps would be smart for everyone that regularly depends on Social Media for Money. Many people pay their bills with trending videos on Facebook or entertaining Youtube videos. I guarantee you that these apps will still be available and be known and is what people would to turn to for entertainment, so advertising on here could be something a content creator or small business should take interest in if TikTok shuts down.

And don’t forget, once upon a time TikTok wasn’t called TikTok- it was Musically. This app was for teens and young adults, and there was a certain childlike aesthetic that I had got out of it, I don’t know if it was because I was a kid but I remember doing funny trending videos and dances in like 4th-5th grade with friends and by myself. Many people would debate with me and say that TikTok is a way people market their small business that they start or is a different app then others because you learn things, it can make you laugh when your not having the best day or you can become a trending influencer by going viral on a video. I agree that there is no other app thats like TikTok because its a app that brings entertainment to every age, gives people opportunities, and business. I see it as if, Musically can get swiped from its original theme, be disguised and some people were troubled by it but many didn’t care as much as they care now about TikTok because advertising your products or their small business that was about to go bankrupt wasn’t very common on Musically. TikTok might get banned forever and I’m certain that life without TikTok will shake the world at first but eventually we would evolve and forget about it.

Other apps like Instagram updated their app so that users now have reels and personally, I’m chuckling on my couch, laying horizontal, eating chips or just simply watching those reels. Sometimes they bring me more entertainment than TikTok itself.

If TikTok is banned, or sold to an American based owner, perhaps TikTok can rebound and become the trending app again.